If you worked in any of these countries, you could be due a Tax Refund

Taxback.com Canada: Become a Winner

#News #TaxTipsCanada

It's been a busy month for Taxback.com Canada as we inch ever closer to the tax deadline of April 30th.

And while the thought of filing your Canadian tax return might make your eyes glaze over...we've got some good news for you!

The average tax refund from Canada is now $998.

Sooooooo...if you haven't applied for your Canadian tax back, do it here NOW.

Okay, at Taxback.com, we don't expect you to just take our word for it. So take it straight from the mouths of our happy customers instead!

Check out this nice review from Orla Fitzpatrick who visited Canada from Ireland and claimed a whopping $900 back in overpaid tax: 


Thanks for the kind words Orla!

It's so easy to get your tax back with Taxback.com. To find out what you're owed, simply apply here now and we'll tell you exactly how much you could claim with a free, no-obligation refund estimate. 


The average Canadian tax refund is $998



Taxback.com Canada Winners

We like to reward our customers, so our reps in Canada organised a number of competitions!

Meet last month's lucky winners below:

Louise Mundy from the UK won a $500 voucher and bought a spring ski pass for Sunshine Village in Banff, spending the remainder on snowboard gear at Rude Boys Snowboard shop!

 competition winner louise mundy

Congrats Louise!

Next up is Matthew Tongue from Australia:

Matthew applied for a tax refund with us in Whistler and won a $500 voucher with Taxback.com and picked Foto Source camera shop to spend his winnings.


Wanna be a winner?

Keep a close eye on our Facebook page for news of more competitions.

And don't forget that the quickest and easiest way to find out how much you could claim if you worked in Canada is by applying here for your no-obligation refund estimate.


The average Canadian tax refund is $998



Canada tax refund FAQs

Q. Do I need to file a tax return?

A. Yes. Filing a tax return is part of your responsibilities as a taxpayer in Canada. Even if you had no income in the tax year, you still need to file a tax return.


Q. I'm thinking of moving to Canada on a working holiday visa. How much tax will I have to pay when I'm there?

A. The amount of the tax you pay depends of the total of income you earned during the tax year. Generally speaking, you'll pay three types of income tax in Canada.

  1. Income tax (Federal and Provincial)
  2. Canadian pension plan (CPP)
  3. Employer Insurance (EI)


Q. What is the 90% rule?

A. This rule basically means that if you earned more than 10% of your income outside Canada, you can't avail of the personal tax credits. However, if you earned at least 90% of the income within Canada, then you can claim the credits.

Further information on the 90% rule can be found here.


Q. Do I declare my Net or Gross income from my home country?

A. Declare your Net income (the amount you received in your bank account).


Q. How can I tell if I'm a resident or non-resident for tax purposes?

A. Most working holidaymakers are considered non-residents for tax purposes.


Generally you're considered a non-resident if:

  • you normally reside in another country and are not considered a resident of Canada
  • you don't have significant residential ties in Canada
  • you lived outside Canada throughout the tax year
  • you stayed in Canada for less than 183 days in the tax year.


You're generally considered a resident if:

  • Canada is the place where you normally live
  • You have significant residential ties (spouse, dependents, own a home) in Canada
  • You are not considered a resident in any other country under a tax treaty with Canada.



Q. How can I tell if I'm entitled to a tax refund in Canada?

A. This depends on a number of factors including whether or not you overpaid tax.

Overpayments of tax in Canada can be broken into 3 categories:

  • Overpayment of income tax
  • Overpayment of Canadian Pension Plan (CPP)
  • Overpayment of Employer Insurance (EI)


Simply apply for your tax refund with Taxback.com here and we'll send you a free, no-obligation estimate of your refund.


Q. When can I apply for my tax refund?

A. The Canadian tax year runs from January 1 to December 31 and you can apply from mid January the following year. So you can apply for 2017 tax refund from January 19, 2018. And you have 10 years after the end of the tax year to apply for your tax refund.


Q. What's a TD1?

A. A TD1 is a federal, provincial, and personal tax credit form used to determine how much tax you should pay on your income.

You need to complete a TD1 when you start a job for the first time in Canada and:

  • anytime you have a new employer
  • if you want to change the credit amounts from previous years
  • if you want to claim the deduction for living in a prescribed zone
  • if you want to increase the amount of tax deducted at source


Q. Are Social Insurance Numbers just for Canadian citizens? 

A. Anyone who wants to work in Canada needs a Social Insurance Number (SIN). A SIN is a 9 digit number government agencies will use to identify you. You will need it in order to pay tax and access government programs. if you want to work in Canada, you can apply for your SIN here.


Q. I know I need a T4 document in order to file my tax return. Where do I get one?

A. Your T4 is a summary of your income and tax deducted in a particular tax year. If you lose a T4, you should contact your employer directly. Alternatively, Taxback.com can help you to track down missing tax documents including T4s.


Q. Can't someone else file my tax return  for me?

A. You can file your tax return with a professional tax agent like Taxback.com. We'll do all the paperwork and guarantee the maximum legal refund.

File here now.


The average Canadian tax refund is $998


About The Author

Ciara Kennedy - Digital Content Writer @ Taxback.com

Ciara is our Digital Content Writer at Taxback.com. Since graduating in Journalism and Visual media, Ciara has worked in online marketing in Ireland and Australia and loves writing in all its forms.

Live Chat Help
Ciara Kennedy - Digital Content Writer @ Taxback.com in