Australian Superannuation FAQs
If you've worked in Australia and have since moved on, now is the time to apply for your superannuation refund and get a few extra hundred dollars in your pocket.
Even if you're on a temporary visa, if you earned more than AUD$450 a month in Oz your employer will have contributed 9% on top of your earnings into a superannuation fund on your behalf.
Claim your superannuation refund
If you leave Australia permanently, taxback.com can claim that super fund back for you. Our average Australian superannuation refund is AU$3380*. Apply now.
- I paid into a superannuation fund - can I claim my contributions back?
Even if you're on a working holiday or student visa, if you earn more than AUD$450 per month, your employer is obliged by law to pay 9% of your wages into a superannuation fund nominated by you. If you didn't nominate a fund, your employer will pay it into a fund nominated by their company or the tax office.
The good news is that you don't actually have to wait for your retirement to get this money. You can apply for a superannuation tax refund if you leave the country permanently and your visa expires. We can even cancel your visa for you to speed this process up.
The average Australian superannuation refund we get for our clients is AU$3380*. Chat Live with one of our tax experts about applying for yours today or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org
- When can I get my superannuation back?
We can claim Australian superannuation refunds from as far back as 1994
. If you've worked in Oz and have left the country permanently we can apply for your refund once your visa has expired – we can even cancel your visa to speed up the process. Contact us on email@example.com
to apply for your cash back today.
- How much money will I get back?
Taxback.com gets you back as much of your superannuation fund as legally possible. That amount depends on factors like the contributions made by your employer and the type of fund you paid into.
The amount of superannuation you can claim back is subject to the administration and insurance fees of your superannuation fund scheme, as well as a 35% withdrawal tax deducted by the Australian Government.
The average Australian superannuation refund we get for our clients is AU$3380*.
Email us on firstname.lastname@example.org to apply for your today.
- I worked in Australia several years ago - can I still claim my superannuation refund?
Yes! We can claim your Australian superannuation refund for you as far back as 1994 provided you've left the country permanently and your visa has expired. To get this money back for you, we will need information like your superannuation fund name and membership number – chat live with our representatives about what you need to do.
- How long will it take to receive my Australian superannuation refund? Where's my refund?
As soon as we have it, you'll have it, because we contact you immediately when we receive your refund to organise the easiest way to get your cash to you.
You can watch the step-by-step progress of your application on your online account. It'll go something like this:
When we get your documents it takes us just 24 hours to get your Aussie superannuation refund application ready to go. This includes:
- Reviewing your application
- Completing your forms and support documentation
Once at the superannuation fund office, your application should take up to 12 weeks to process. Our team will keep chasing up the fund to see how your application is going.
As soon as we receive your refund, we'll contact you to sort out the best way to get your cash straight to you.
- How do I know what's happening with my superannuation refund application?
You can follow the progress of your Australia superannuation application on your online tracking account. It allows you to see every step of your application. As soon as we have your refund we'll contact you to sort out the best way to get your money straight to you.
Rather talk to a human being? We have staff available to talk to you in 27 taxback.com offices in 20 different countries. Click here to find your local office number or use our Live Chat.
- What are the advantages of using taxback.com?
Thousands of people choose our service because:
- We get you the maximum legal refund
- Every customer gets a Personal Online Tracking Account – you can follow your tax return every step of the way
- All our refund applications are legal and compliant with Australian tax law.
- Document retrieval service
- 24-hour customer support and tax refund help
- Free phone, free fax, free post, free online tax help with our live chat!
- No language barriers - our services are available in: Bulgarian, Chinese, Chinese-Taiwanese, Croatian, Czech, Dutch, English, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Spanish, Thai, Turkish, and Ukrainian.
- Money sent worldwide and in your local currency. You can get your refund in: Euro, US Dollars, Australian Dollars, UK Pounds, Bulgarian Lev, Lithuanian Litas, Polish Zloty, Russian Rubles, Slovak Koruna, Romanian Lei, Canadian Dollars, South African Rands, Czech Koruna, New Zealand Dollars, Latvian Lat, Ukrainian Hryvna.
- How much will it cost?
When you send us your documents and signed forms, we'll evaluate your refund and what additional services you need such as document retrieval. Then we'll let you know how much it will cost to file your return for you.
For Australian superannuation refunds we charge 20% + handling fee of the refund received subject to a minimum fee.
Why the minimum fee?
This fee covers all the things that make using our service so easy for you such as:
- Customer support
- Online tracking service
- Free phone and free fax
- Quality team
- What is a superannuation fund name?
This is the name of the superannuation fund your employer contributed into in Australia. When you started work in Aussie, you may have nominated which super fund you wanted your employer to pay into. If you didn't choose one, your employer will have nominated a fund on your behalf. We can contact your employer and track down which superannuation fund they paid into for you. Email us on Australia@taxback.com to get the process underway today.
- What is a membership number?
This is your account number with the superannuation fund your employer was paying into in Australia. If you don't have this number, we can find it for you.
- What is a superannuation plan?
Many large superannuation companies in Australia have different superannuation plans such as savings plans or retirement plans. If you know what kind your employer was paying into it will speed up the refund process. If you don't know it – we can find out for you.
- I worked abroad in other countries - can you help me claim refunds from these countries?
Absolutely! We've been organising tax refunds for people working all over the world since 1996. If you've worked in any of the following countries click on them to apply for your refund!
Our research team is constantly developing tax return services for new markets so if you've worked in a country not mentioned above, email our team on email@example.com to see what we can do for you.
- Can I go back to Australia if I claim my Superannuation?
Claiming your superannuation money
If you have worked in Australia as a temporary resident you may be eligible to claim your superannuation money. You can do this if:
- you visited on an eligible temporary visa*
- your visa has ceased to be in effect (that is, has expired or been cancelled)
- you have departed Australia**
*A list of eligible temporary resident visas is available from the Australian Taxation Office.
**You may still be able to return to Australia on another visa even if you claim and receive your superannuation money.
This payment is called the Departing Australia Superannuation Payment (DASP).This payment is not available for Australian permanent residents and citizens or New Zealand citizens (unless you previously visited Australia on an eligible temporary visa – in which case, some of your superannuation may still be payable as a DASP). Eligibility and procedures for lodging a claim for superannuation benefits are available from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) website.
For further information, visit ATO's website and search for "unclaimed super changes for temporary residents"
- Do I need to get my documents certified?
Yes. You need the copies of your documents to be certified in order to be able to claim your Superannuation refund. For more information on how to get your documents certified please read our certification guidelines.
* The refund amount is an average value and is not guaranteed. Your final refund amount depends on your individual circumstances.