If you worked in any of these countries, you could be due a Tax Refund

Backpackers in New Zealand - Here’s the ultimate handbook to help you get your tax back


Were you a backpacker or international student working in New Zealand between 1 April 2020 and 31 March 2021?


If so, you can claim your tax back now!


Our average New Zealand tax refund is $550 - so it’s worth checking how much tax you are due back! In fact, you can use our tax refund calculator to check if you are due a refund!


The amount of tax you get back depends on a few things, such as:

  • The amount of income you earned
  • How long you spent working while in New Zealand
  • What job you had
  • The amount of tax withheld from your wages


Determining your residency status in New Zealand

If you stayed in New Zealand for less than 183 days in a 12 month period, you’re considered a non-resident for tax purposes.


However, you are considered a resident for tax purposes if you:

  • Stayed in New Zealand for more than 183 days in a 12 month period, or

  • Have a permanent place to live in New Zealand


Who is required to file a New Zealand tax return?

Many people are not obliged to file a New Zealand tax return.


Although, most people choose to file a return so that they can claim their tax refund.


The average refund a Taxback.com customer receives for New Zealand is $550. So, it’s worth checking how much tax you are owed!


Please note: Working Holidaymakers are obliged to file a tax return if they have overseas income or arrived part way through a tax year. So basically, if you’re a Working Holidaymaker, you are best to file a tax return to ensure you are 100% tax compliant! 


And don’t forget, by filing your tax return you can claim any tax refund you are due - so that’s definitely a bonus, who wouldn’t want more money in their pocket to go travelling with?! 


When should you file your tax return?


The New Zealand tax year runs from 1 April to 31 March each year.


And the deadline for filing your New Zealand tax return is 7 July. So be sure to file before this date to avoid any fines or penalties!


What do you need to file your tax return?

In order to file your New Zealand tax return you need:

  • A copy of your ID
  • Your Summary of Earnings or your final payslip will work for this. So, it’s important to always keep your payslips safe, especially your final one!


Are you self-employed?

If you were self-employed, ran a company or were paid in cash while working in New Zealand, you will be required to file an IR3 tax return.

You will need to file an IR3 tax return to declare:

  • How much you earned throughout the year
  • The amount of tax you paid on your income
  • Any business expenses that you incurred


By filing an IR3 tax return you will also determine whether you have a tax liability or are due a tax refund.


Taxback.com can help you to file your IR3 tax return. Simply fill out this form and our tax experts will be in touch to help you out!


If you earned overseas income in the same year you moved to New Zealand

Working Holidaymakers - please pay attention!


If you are a Working Holidaymaker in New Zealand and are considered a resident for tax purposes, you will pay income tax on any income that you earned overseas. 


However, if the income you earned overseas has already had tax deducted from it, you may be able to claim a credit for the tax paid overseas against the tax you are being charged on the overseas income in New Zealand.


The credit you receive will be the lesser of:

  • The tax you paid overseas, and
  • The New Zealand income tax payable on your overseas income


How long will it take to get my refund?

It normally takes between 8 and 12 weeks to receive your New Zealand tax refund.  


If you apply for your refund with Taxback.com we will chase the tax office to get updates on the progress of your application and let you know if they need further documentation.


What happens if you don’t file a tax return?

If you don’t file a tax return and you have a tax liability, you could be charged with late filing penalties and interest. 


So, make sure to submit your return before the deadline to avoid being hit with these charges!


Need a hand claiming your tax refund?


If you’re ready to claim your tax refund, simply apply with Taxback.com today and we will take the tricky tax paperwork out of your hands!


Our tax experts will review your individual circumstances and ensure you are claiming all of the applicable deductions and reliefs available to you.


We will ensure you receive your maximum legal tax refund. Our average refund is $550, so why not apply to get your tax back today?


Benefits of choosing Taxback.com?

  • Simple, online form
  • We will take care of the tricky tax paperwork
  • Maximum legal tax refund guaranteed
  • We will transfer your refund to any bank account in the world! 

Simply fill in this form and our tax experts will be in touch.

About The Author

Zoe Byrne - Digital Content Executive @ Taxback.com

Zoe writes about the latest developments in tax filing, relief and credits for Taxback.com. She has a background in Digital Marketing and has a strong interest in technology, health, fitness and travel.

Live Chat Help
Zoe Byrne - Digital Content Executive @ Taxback.com in